History of the Hillsboro Mennonite Brethren Church
Hillsboro Mennonite Brethren Church (HMBC) first organized April 16, 1881 and began meeting in a house basement. When it became too crowded they rented a building known as the red schoolhouse in the new town of Hillsboro.
Revival came in 1890 and the church decided it should have its own building. During the summer of 1893 a new building was dedicated. It is now the Historic Church on the Tabor College campus. Nine years later the church had grown so much that an extension to the south end of the building was built.
Church growth dictated more building projects that were completed in 1910 and 1926.
In 1959 a sanctuary that seated 800 on the main floor was dedicated. It was this building that was a church home to many until March 7, 2004. That day a fire destroyed the building but not the purpose of HMBC.
Believing a church is its people and not a building HMBC continued the ministries it had in place. During the next three years the church used the local school for its Sunday School and worship services. Wednesday night classes and other events were held in other churches of Hillsboro and Tabor College.
In June of 2007 the congregation entered its new facility in Prairie Pointe, a development on the east side of Hillsboro. We are in a new day in the life and ministry at HMBC. We believe God continues to invite us to participate in the building of His Kingdom. As a congregation we are determined to seek ways to serve in as many areas as we are gifted and as the Spirit of God leads us.
Content Copyright © 2013 Hillsboro Mennonite Brethren Church